Babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Yuma Regional Medical Center need the highest level of specialized care we can provide. To help them grow and thrive, critically ill and premature babies who weigh less than three pounds are sometimes given crucial nourishment from our donor milk program. These are babies that may not have a sufficient amount of mother's milk available to them.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends the use of human milk – mother’s own or pasteurized donor milk if mom’s own milk is not available – for all preterm infants. Our NICU team works with Prolacta Bioscience® to provide 100% human milk nutritional products to babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Facts about breast milk
- Breast milk helps all babies to grow healthy and strong.
- It provides optimum nutrition and greatly exceeds any alternative method of infant feeding.
- Breast milk protects babies against allergies and illness.
- It also protects against infections, including ear infections.
- Breast milk contains many substances that benefit your baby's immune system.
- It is easily digested by babies.
How you can help?
If you are a nursing mother with more milk than your baby needs, you can help babies in our community who need and deserve this important nutritional boost. By donating milk to YRMC’s Donor Milk Program, you can make an incredible difference by helping fragile babies who truly are fighting for their lives.
Ready to donate?
Prolacta offers a network of milk banks where the donor can either receive direct compensation for her milk donation or choose to have a charitable contribution made on her behalf. For more information, contact our NICU department at 928-336-7661